The best place to start with building a DIY home security and automation system is with a kit. These are a prepackaged selection of devices by the manufacturer and an excellent way to save money. We have a broad selection of both wired as well as wireless starter kits. Some come with just a panel and keypad while others come with enough to protect a small house. Select the kit that best meets your home’s basic needs and then add devices (motion sensors, keypads, door/window sensors, smoke detectors) that you may need to expand the system. Keep in mind you can always add devices later too.
The essential components of a DIY home security and automation system:
- System panel/controller: All wired and wireless panels will include a plugin transformer/power supply.
- Backup battery: Most wireless controls will include an internal backup battery and many wired kits include one as well. The backup battery is what protects the system from utility power failure.
- Keypad: Wired panels will require an alphanumeric keypad for local programming while some wireless panels such as the Helix do not require a keypad at all since a smartphone can serve as the keypad.
- Contacts for all perimeter doors: Wired and/or wireless devices. For hard to wire doors consider adding a wireless receiver and use a wireless door/window transmitter.
- Siren: Wireless panels generally include a sounder/siren but these can be expanded with additional sirens.
Everything beyond this is optional. If for example you are doing a full perimeter system then adding more door/window sensors is a must. You may want motion sensors and/or glassbreak detectors to backup your perimeter design. Consider life safety devices such as smoke detectors and Carbon Monoxide (CO) sensors. If you want to add it, we have it!
We include free panel programming for all Honeywell, DCS, and Alula panels! No one else but SafeHomeCentral does this without charging $100+ in labor.
While we encourage all of our customers to read the programming manual that comes with each panel, many customers consider programming a one-time task and don't want to spend several hours of reading and then trial and error configuring. With Internet or cellular access to your panel we can work with you to program the system to your needs, remotely. And if you need a change later, just call us and we'll continue to assist at NO CHARGE!
We've been in business for over 30 years and will be here when you need us.